Wednesday, January 30, 2008

From an old blog

I just wanted to share something I wrote in another blog last year after (Feb 07) the Super Bowl. Please don't think I was in anyway insulting the two coaches, I just thought that we were actually treating them unfairly because they were two African American coaches in the Super Bowl. That seemed to be all the media could focus on, rather than the apparent fact that they were two great coaches.

here it is:

I dislike the fact that we have to bring race and religion into every aspect of our culture. I respect every form of religion anyone may choose for themselves... isn't that enough? Or can we not just recognize two great coaches for.. being great coaches not "Christian African American" football coaches. I mean I think it's a great thing, but I also think that when we do that, it continues to set people back in tihs country. In case you haven't figured out I'm talking about the Super Bowl last night. I followed both teams the majority of this year and enjoyed watching them play football. I never once looked at the tv and associated Tony Dungy with a classifaction of religion or race off hand, not anything I was thiking about anyway. I looked at him and saw a great football coach and from what I could gather, a very good man... why does anything else matter? The past week in the media when I thought I would hear about all the attributes these two teams would be bringing to the table. I was mistaken. Are we not seperating African Americans even more when we make a media fiasco out of the two Super Bowl coaches being African American?... And as far as the religion aspect of it all goes... would the topic had been brought up if it were two atheists? two buddhists? two scientologists?... of course not, that would've been swept right under the table not to be heard of. To me they were just people... with incredible talents that lead two incredible football teams. I suppose I just don't really see what anything else had to do with it.

-Dirk

No comments: